Oral health is essential for general health and quality of life. It is a state of being free from mouth and facial pain, oral and throat cancer, oral infection and sores, gum diseases, tooth decay, tooth loss, and other diseases and disorders that limit an individual's capacity in biting, chewing, smiling, speaking and psychosocial well being.
The most common diseases are dental cavities, gum diseases, oral cancer, oral infectious diseases, trauma from injuries and hereditary lesions.
Do You Know?
- 60-90% school children and nearly 100% adults have dental cavities !
- Severe periodontal disease, which may result in tooth loss is found in 10-20% of middle aged adults !
- Dental cavities and gum diseases are major cause of tooth loss !
- One in hundred thousand people has incidence of oral cancer and its more in people who consume tobacco
and excess alcohol !
- 16-40% in children of age 6-12 yrs are affected by dental trauma from accidents and violence!
- Birth defect such as Cleft Lip and Palate occur in 1 per 500-700 births that varies across ethnic groups and geographical areas!
- Risk factor of oral diseases include unhealthy diet, tobacco use and harmful alcohol use that may cause cardio vascular diseases, cancer, respiratory diseases and diabetes!
How to prevent the above ?
Regular Dental Care from Access Dental is the answer. Schedule Access Dental preventive care program by calling your nearest Access Dental Center. Get you inspected every 6 months by your dentist.
If your car needs to be inspected once every 12 months why not get inspected for oral health every 6 months! Self health is more valuable than Cars!
Access Dental Advice
- Decrease sugar intake and maintain well balanced diet.
- Consume more fruits and vegetables.
- Stop Tobacco use and consume alcohol in moderation.
- Ensure proper oral hygiene by regular dentist visits.
- Use protective sport and motor vehicle equipments to reduce risk of facial injuries.
Courtesy : World Health Organization (WHO)